Sustainability SA 8000 - Certification - Social Accountability
SA 8000 is an international certification standard that encourages organisations to develop, maintain and apply socially acceptable practices in the workplace.
It was created in 1989 by Social Accountability International (SAI), an affiliate of the Council on Economic Priorities, and is viewed as the most globally accepted independent workplace standard. It can be applied to any company, of any size, worldwide.
SA 8000 certification addresses issues including forced and child labour, occupational health and safety, freedom of association and collective bargaining, discrimination, disciplinary practices, working hours, compensation, and management systems.
As well as setting workplace standards worldwide, SA 8000 also embraces existing international agreements, including conventions from the International Labour Organisation, the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Adopting SA 8000 certification means an organisation must consider the social impact of their operations in addition to the conditions under which their employees, partners and suppliers operate. It can be applied to any company, of any size, worldwide. Certifying your organisation against SA 8000 with an SGS audit will help you develop and improve social accountability across your operations. Working with our experienced auditors to implement the most globally accepted workplace standard demonstrates social accountability when bidding for contracts and expanding your organisation.
Benefits of SA 8000 Certification Standard
- Proves your commitment to social accountability and to treating your employees ethically and in compliance with global standards
- Improves the management and performance of your supply chain
- Allows you to ensure compliance with global standards and reduce the risk of negligence, public exposure and possible litigation
- Supports your corporate vision and build and reinforce the loyalty of your employees, customers and stakeholders
- Enables you to demonstrate proper social accountability when bidding for international contracts or expanding locally to accommodate new business
Partnering with SGS to achieve certification leads to better performing processes, increasing skilful talent, consistent and compliant supply chains and more sustainable customer relationships, delivering profitable competitive advantage.
Demonstrate your organisation’s commitment to social accountability by partnering with SGS to achieve SA 8000 certification.
Discover Our Sustainability Solutions
Achieve your sustainability goals with our range of sustainability services.